Wednesday, October 5, 2016

BEEN THERE, SEEN THAT & PART OF THAT GENERATION

My story is everybody’s story and everybody’s story is my story. We all have so much in common to bond us than differences that ostracize or isolate us. Like everybody before or after me, I left home leaving everything including my family, friends…continue reading my/your journey and more http://timeforchangesociety.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/the-start-end-of-my-journey-downunder.html

I was born and grew up in a typical humble and tough Christian family, attending church classes and services then joining public school with ethical prayers before commencing classes, sung national anthem to raise the flag before entering classes, honouring our teachers as our second parents to discipline and correct us if we did something out of conventional procedures, mixing it up and making friends with all types of students from different ethnic backgrounds without any preconditions.

I sung national anthem & honoured my turn to raise the national flag in school before entering and commencing classes.
Click on IMAGES to VIEW in Large & READ
School Prayer
Prayers I Wrote For Myself
Some of the scriptural idioms our – (ግብረ ገብነት –moral) teacher taught us in our elementary school class remains reverberating with me to this day – (ክፋትን የዘራ መከራን ያጭዳልRT-Roughly Translates: He who sows iniquity will reap vanity/suffering) & (ክፉ ለሠራ ሰው በጐ የመለሰ፣ ዘላለም ይኖራል ፀጋ እንደለበሰ። – RT: Those who do good deeds to evil doers, will live on forever wearing gems of glory). 
Ethiopian Bible, Alphabets, All Political Pamphlets
Like the rest of devoted believers, the belief in my Christian values was deep-rooted in me; I was so absorbed in reading and studying inspirational bible verses and any spiritual scriptures to make it into church ceremonials. When I left my country, I took all my personal church prayer notes and my red Amharic Bible with me including some other virtuous nostalgic memorandums (see pictures).
The Old & New Ethiopian Money
Video of My Generation's Chronicle
 Without getting carried away and being incriminated for some of my honest revelations as in my all stories and to fend off from deeply falling into melancholic state –Home sick, I simply want to say, I am so proud to be born in a well-developed moralistic family/society at a time of all the reflections (generations) mentioned in –እኛ የመጨረሻዎቹ (Egna Yemechereshawochu) –narrative video.  
Arat Kilo Monument, City Hall, Train Station & The Trinity Church
This video really stirred up my emotions reminding me to reminisce about all the things I’ve seen, heard and done to provoke and revitalize my feelings to write and post this commentary about all the stuffs my generations & I have seen and enjoyed. These includes the abrupt and unyielding changes of my country’s map and its severed regional shape, the dominant figures that ruled it, the national anthems and the high-spirited music of the time, the looks of famous national flags and all my personal nostalgic mementos (see pictures) to affirm my allegiance to that generations that am gratified to belong to the reverence worthy and ethically unassuming generations who lived together in harmony and looked after their neighbours welfare. (Image updated Sept 2021)
Old & New Ethiopian Maps, Leaders & Flags 
Those were the real strong values we believed and lived together with love and good will in our diverse multi-ethnic society and I’ve lived up to that ethical code to this day.
Old & New National Anthems
Amassing all the genuine altruistic attitudes of our time, my generations have untapped wisdom to pass on to the new generations if and only if they are open minded and capable of taking it all in, luckily, by just using their fingertips to enter. We didn’t have today’s opportunities to use techs but certainly we were keen to read any how to books you can think of to soak up more knowledge wholeheartedly and eagerly.
Singer of That Generations, Bizunesh Bekele
In my view, the new generations are more informed, visionary, hold the power, have the choice, tolerant, knowledgeable, quick-witted, optimistic, progressive, confident, healthier, living longer, fortunate…and the luckier generations than all. Therefore, they have the choice to use it or just see it and look the other way. And this is an illuminating trend that will continue to transform generations after generations.

Just as a piece of land has to be prepared beforehand if it is to nourish the seed, so the mind of the pupil has to be prepared in its habit if it is to enjoy and dislike the right things. –Aristotle

The new generations must be mindful and ready to encourage and re-validate fundamental ideals of human dignity, egalitarianism, fairness, and so forth in order to guarantee an honest peace based on contemporary social revolution (change) without rhetoric hollow political clichés and deceitful old ways of unity by reintegrating our people separated and divided by tribal based regions, flags and ethnic nationalism (see pictures). No ethnic elites are forced to renounce their ethnic identity to chase their dreams. Of course, peaceful change – (ሰላማዊ ለውጥ) requires a well thought out and comprehensive approach. They must first and foremost build trust through an open reconciliation and mutually recognized healthy policies.

Given our past traditional track records, patterns of cultural behaviours and many aphorisms of the social characterization, absolute power, hating and abandoning others just because our friends don’t like them and a favouritism tend to corrupt society, the cultural politics and both mind and spirit of those at the helm of their companions genuinely where other’s absolute influence has a tendency to encourage it. We all need to give up the cardinal sins of status quo ordeals and endeavour to reform progressive objectives to form a seamless existence.
“People deserve much less punishments, or even perhaps no punishment, for what they did many years ago as compared to with what they did very recently.” –Derek Parfit

Acknowledging all those changes are not only pivotal for our society, it’s an ultimate way to survive and thrive interconnected. Generations must draw strength from past patriots, scholars and senior elders and comprehend the immoral, virtuous and flaws to pave the way for perfect social transformation.
Singer of That Generations, Abebe Tessema
They must also understand the arduous task of coming together with a contested past that requires a robust and inclusive debate that can only happen within a democratic environment capable of reconciling social conflicts according to shared rules.

Our old habits can get so deeply engrained in us that they affect our body and mind at a cellular, organizational and cultural level to outlaw any new methods of doing businesses and connections.   
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” –Gandhi 
 
The concept of solidarity based only on shared mutual loses and grievances we are currently witnessing are not based on a shared dreams, values, equality and unity that will build new Ethiopia. Principally, Solidarity doesn’t equate to unity, rather the idea of upholding to sustain multi-national understanding, tolerance, respect and acceptance of differences. Thus, we have mistaken solidarity for unity, thereby staining our united activities.
 
The majority of ethnic elites have never been able to honestly discuss any complaints or sensitive matters of the past at a table and challenge partisan relevance with mutual conviction and understanding apart from individually writing, posting and talking about it incessantly.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” –Albert Einstein
Star Singer of That Generations, Tilahun Gessesse
Like my generations, I grew up in a multi-ethnic culture and loved it deeply to this day. Unlike some (I said some not all) of my generations, learning a positive attitude towards life goes a long way in achieving knowledge and mental peace and thereby keeping me stress free. I quickly transformed myself to be able to adapt with the rapidly changing social order and beliefs without stubbornly staying with my old traditional social creeds. I stand back but not remain silent and don’t let the daily hassles grind me down. It’s too easy to become angry and cynical. There are millions of reasons and excuses not to do things without hating anybody.
"I choose to be strong by being soft and pliable rather than inflexible, brittle, and hard." - Dr Wayne Dyer.

However, to motivate myself, I have to get up each day to try again and again until my search is contented no matter how small. It could be to get out of the house, read or write about something I truly love, sort out my jobs, visit friends or parks or do what comforts me to restore my energy and spirit. I try to change something I don’t like when I can and accept what I can’t. Be grateful and contented with what I already have that includes all my past sufferings, because I’ve learned from those griefs to persevere and produce my best character thereby looking up to an infallible hope to respect all people irrespective of their  social eminence, status and cultural background.

Always having to please everyone is detrimental to our wellbeing. It drains us mentally and has the ability to damper our self-esteem. It is common that always trying to please others may lead to people mistreating us. I’ve, like few people, fallen into this category by mixing up with challenging individuals several times in my life time. I’ve learned to live with all circumstances as they are.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Star Singer of That Generations, Mahmoud Ahmed
This is one resilient and profound statement that the new generations must establish and practice in their own way by setting disciplined boundaries without being carried away by their peculiar personalities.

Life presents challenges and sufferings such as accidents, illnesses and the loss of loved ones by death or alive.  There are times when we are overwhelmed by sudden calamity, natural or manmade –similar to the current unbearable situations in my country of birth. We all make mistakes.  And at times we are lost.  And as we get older, we learn we don’t always have control of things.  But we do have control over how we respond to the circumstances we encounter every single day.
Stevie Wonder & Soul Train, Dances of That Generation
“If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.”

We do have the choices and power over how we treat one another. Without doubt, the ruling classes lost control of the dreadful treatment of our people, lost their senses of what, how, when to do their job properly, governed by greed, hungry for power or not well informed and prepared to follow the vicious cycles of regimes from one era to the next, being terribly exposed to maltreatments and killings for so long.

"They carry around a deep wound, and when a doctor touches a wound, it makes you feel better. I sort of rubbed their wounds." –Feyisa Lelisa

Like Feyisa, new generations hold the power, have the choice, must be true to their beliefs, no one can force them and above all, can decide what they want to perpetuate.

The world must know and our new generations must also discern that as we live in an open society, we do not persevere alone.  Our existence is not found in isolation.  Hope does not arise by putting our fellow human beings down; it is found by embracing each other.

One Ethiopia For All, All For One Ethiopia!

No comments: