Wednesday, October 31, 2012

THE START & END OF MY JOURNEY

Leaving behind my family, friends and treasured collection of possessions at a tender age of self-discovery was a tough undertaking. However, unlike some of my countrymen and women who have left our country under difficult circumstances travelling day and night in unbearable situations in order to escape being caught by border securities, I’m grateful to fly with one of the best African Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines. NOTE: Click on all images to see it LARGER.
 With brothers top & bottom left with mum sitting close to me & Friends on the right.
I left Bole International Airport, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in 1976, flying with Ethiopian Airlines, aka “The New Spirit of Africa”, with three of my workmates with an anticipation to experience the foreign life that we have learned and heard so much about, first arriving in Athens, Greece as our first destination.
Although, I thoroughly enjoyed the glossy lifestyles and the experiences of being away from homeland for the first time, I felt disenchanted and sensed melancholy as a result of homesick despite the fact that I was with my great home buddies and enjoying out and about discovering Athens by day and night.
  
                                      At one of our friend’s weddings, standing 2nd from left.
I’ve enjoyed the tourist city immensely and met so many Ethiopians who came before us living there. While living in Athens, I regularly attended the newly formed Ethiopian community meetings with my friends and also helped establish a soccer club called Nyala (an Ethiopian icon, goat-like animal found in the Siemen Mountain Ranges of the country) Ethiopian Soccer Club. During and after my time, the community continued to flourish with plenty of young Ethiopian students going to school either through scholarships or privately and migrant residents that were living in Athens.

After spending over two years in Athens, I knew it was impossible to go back to Ethiopia because of the unsettled transitional period with the new revolution taking power from the longest reigning monarchs at the time; leaving behind my old and new friends, the beautiful love at first sight of Athens life, I, again, made another journey destined to make a new & better life in the New World commonly known as USA. Remembering about the stories told by my countrymen that have been there before me, I assumed I was also going to the moon because of my feelings being over the moon for going to America, at a time of the satellites taking off to the moon, my crossing the Atlantic Ocean to live in a country that we've learned so much about more than our own. 
Well, it was in 1978 that I left my love at first sight city that opened my eyes to all things different than I used to and leaving behind, again, friends and everything that I loved and arrived in New York. The next morning, I was taken to the airport to catch a flight to Los Angeles and then to Bakersfield, California, where my sponsor lived. When I arrived, I was greeted by my sponsor Mrs. Siechert. She took me to her place out on the city side where she lived with her husband, two sons and daughter. They’re a member of the Mennonite’s church. I lived with them for few months until I finally moved out to my own rented flat after I found myself a car wash job by day and a dishwasher at a restaurant by night. It was between this unsettling time that my Australian girlfriend, Margaret Miller, who I met in Athens, in 1977, while she was travelling around, we’ve stayed together for few months, but she went back home in good terms to see each other, again, came to visit me in Bakersfield, Ca, in 1979 and after few months we got married in jubilation. However, we both couldn’t find jobs in Bakersfield; we decided to move to a bigger and better city like Los Angeles San Francisco. We decided to visit the two cities by visiting them and we decided to drive down to LA, first. While visiting the Hollywood glamour city, its zoo and more, the air was very unhealthy and couldn’t breathe properly and we wanted to drive out of there soon and again, drive all the way to San Francisco. We got to SF and we’ve rented a hotel in Polk St up until early 1980s and we moved out to a better and bigger place, in Pierce St, SF, in preparation for our first baby. 
I thought life was hard on my own with no jobs and yet to finish school, I found myself in a deeper karma, having two kids and going to school with no close family that can help sometimes. This is why I decided to move to Australia with my family. 
 Although there were very few Ethiopians in the SF Bay Area where I lived, we occasionally met when the famine news was first broke out in our country to organize consultations for the public in order to appeal for help with any donations deemed necessary to help back home.
Leaving USA
After living in the USA, getting married to my Australian girlfriend, making great transformation and having my own family, I moved to Australia. Read more story at: https://timeforchangesociety.blogspot.com/2017/07/believe-it-or-not.html
Here we go again! Life goes on! Right? I’m on the move, again! As they say there is light at the end of the tunnel & having been travelled through it thick and thin, long and hard by transforming at every hurdle, after living over six years in the US, leaving my old and new friends, again, having just been graduated, just when I started to get over my homesickness, yet starting to get used to the country I was thrilled to see, where I thought I was destined to settle being married and having two daughters, made my last nomadic trip in a civilized world, this time with my family, what would be my last journey through long & difficult tunnel, eventually, to see a sturdier and illuminating light at the end in a faraway country better known as ‘Downunder’, arrived in Melbourne, June 15, 1984 and finally rejoicing with my family who have arrived three months earlier.
Without going into detail, I said sturdier because of the reality of disparity in the Australian way of life, specially, how the indigenous people and African migrants were treated in the mainstream living standards; illuminating because those hurdles were the motivating force in my conviction to persevere and triumph over those shared difficulties without renunciation.
                                        My Family in AUSTRALIA
At times, I began to doubt if there is real light after the end of the tunnel and this was just a motto to boost the downtrodden. As discernment was moved to its point of implicitness in Australia, encouraged by the motto and keeping my audacity of hope, by putting aside my immodesty, years of education and work experiences I have accumulated over the years; Alas! I started working on various industrial low paying jobs starting all over again to support my family.
To make the long story short, having been through those hard tunnels, after working in the industrial and corporate sectors, at present, I am very proud to be among my fellow African business vendors by owning a printing business and I couldn’t ask for a better place than living close to my three grown up daughters all having their own families.
Few months after I arrived in Australia, having the thoughts of one lone new African, I found out that I wasn’t the only one discovering the taste of Melbourne lifestyle. I started searching if there were African migrants, especially, Ethiopians, living in Melbourne. After a thorough search through phone books, contacting migrant resource centers and immigration departments, I was told there were huge numbers of Ethiopian refugees residing at the Enterprise Migrant Hostel in Springvale area.
The Enterprise Migrant Hostel in Springvale was an institution which provides accommodation and comprehensive settlement services for migrants and others.
     Ethiopian community celebrating our New Year in Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
I told my family with excitement and I could not contain myself for another day and wanted to drive to Springvale to see my fellow Ethiopians. As soon as I got to the center, I parked my car and while walking to the office, I saw groups of people watching soccer games, in a small park, competing against each other and I went over to see them. When I got there, everyone (Ethiopians & Somalians) was gathered to meet & greet me thinking that I was just another newly arrived migrant. I introduced myself and watched the soccer game in a long time since I arrived in Australia. Eventually, after the game was finished they took me to their dorm for continued amorous discussions.
                                  MY TIMELINE, AS IT HAPPENED
After a long day, I left making new friends and promised to see them again & came back home to my family feeling exhausted but refreshed and told them how my day was filled with joy with my new discovery and told them about my intentions to form Ethiopian community in Australia as my partner is aware of my experiences of community involvement, in Greece and America. By doing so, the perseverance finally pulled me through the tunnel, I felt I settled in with ‘no worries’, and my journey eventually came to an end, ‘Downunder’, at the bottom end of the world feeling on top of it.
MY PAWSITIVE PARTNER
Read the actual story of the beginning of Ethiopian Community: http://timeforchangesociety.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/the-launching-of-ethiopian-community.html
Peace & Good Health

No comments: